Sands Anderson PC traces its history back to the mid-1800's when Alexander Hamilton Sands (who left William and Mary College in Williamsburg in 1842 to read the law under his brother William) and John Howard shared a practice known as Howard & Sands. That office was located in the Goddin Building in Richmond, Virginia, which the Confederate Government used in 1861 to plan the first military operation for Virginia's participation in the Civil War. It was also the first building to be burned during the Evacuation Fire of 1865. Unfortunately, much of Sands Anderson's early historical records were lost in this fire.
Sands Anderson PC can boast a long list of prominent lawyers including Frank B. "Bunky" Miller, III, who continues to be associated with the firm today. Sands Anderson alumni include a Commonwealth's Attorney for the City of Richmond, a Virginia senator, a councilman, two circuit court judges, a federal district court judge, a mayor of Richmond and a former state Attorney General.
The 1940s brought an insurance defense focus to Sands Anderson's practice when the firm represented several national insurance companies. The firm, which became known as Sands Anderson Marks & Miller in 1978, continues to represent many of these companies and attributes this to the ability to build lasting relationships with clients and represent them with the highest quality of client and legal services. In the late 1980s, Sands Anderson broadened its focus to offer a wide array of legal services working with small and large corporate clients, business executives and owners, and individuals.
Since 2001, dozens of Sands Anderson's attorneys have been selected as part of Virginia Business magazine's "Legal Elite," which features the top Virginia attorneys who practice in nearly every major specialty of law throughout Virginia. The list is compiled from recommendations of the membership of the Virginia Bar Association. In addition, for decades, Martindale-Hubbell, America's most exclusive directory of law firms, has rated Sands Anderson as a pre-eminent firm in legal ability and ethics with the designation AV, and currently 38 of our attorneys benefit from the Martindale Hubbell Ratings process.
Today, the depth and breadth of the firm's practices of law include business, bankruptcy, residential and commercial real estate, civil and commercial litigation, delinquent real estate tax collection, equine law, finance and venture capital, government relations and lobbying, immigration, international business, local government, mergers and acquisitions, municipal bonds and finance, labor and employment, workers' compensation, healthcare, technology, estate planning, tax, automotive law and motor vehicle dealer services, aviation and transportation law, conservation easements, historic rehabilitation tax credits and construction.
Sands Anderson began as a small Richmond office and is now one of Virginia's largest law firms with over 75 attorneys and five offices. Headquartered in Richmond, the firm's regional offices are located in Christiansburg, Fredericksburg and McLean, Virginia, and Raleigh, North Carolina. These office locations allow Sands Anderson to provide a broad range of services to clients in those regions.
The dedication and commitment of Alexander H. Sands, a legal scholar and prolific writer, established Sands Anderson as a firm known for excellent legal service as well as charitable work and community service. From pro bono work to economic development and community outreach programs, Sands Anderson remains steadfast to its commitment to society and the communities of which it is a member.
■ Recent News