Phone: (703) 893-3600
Fax: (703) 893-8484
Jon Schraub is the managing shareholder of Sands Anderson's McLean office and is a member of the Business & Professional Litigation group as well as the Healthcare and Employment groups. He focuses his practice in the areas of professional liability litigation, healthcare, employment at the trial and appellate levels in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia.
Jon brings significant experience in trial and appellate litigation in the areas of professional liability defense and coverage, employment law and business counseling. A significant portion of Jon's practice is devoted to professional indemnity and Executive & Officer defense work for national and international insurance companies. He has defended attorneys, accountants, architects, engineers, real estate brokers, title insurance companies and corporate officers and directors in liability actions. Jon has handled numerous medical malpractice claims, including defense of ob-gyn, emergency room, radiology and neurology cases. Additionally, Jon has significant experience in the areas of employment law and business counseling. He has served as outside counsel to a federal thrift institution and numerous national trade associations.
- The first case in the 4th Circuit to find insurance coverage for a property owner under a CGL policy based on the defective work of a sub-contractor.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a two-week trial defending a psychiatrist against malpractice claims arising out of the suicide of a 34-year old male patient. The issues involved technical applications of psychopharmacologic principles as well as treatment decisions made in a managed health care environment.
- Served as lead counsel winning summary judgment on behalf of former directors and attorneys of a failed federally-insured savings institution against claims by the FDIC totaling in excess of $15 million. The case involved numerous cutting edge issues with respect to attorneys liability, director liability, statute of limitations analysis, application of FIRREA and bank regulator duties. This case received national attention as the most successful effort to date in restraining the expansive interpretation by the FRIC/RTC of its powers under federal law. Jon also served as lead counsel for all appellees in the successful defense of the appeal of this case in the Fourth Circuit.
- Represented insurance client in a series of related, complex coverage disputes involving multiple defalcations and embezzlement by an insured title company.
- Served as special counsel in representing an association in the development and negotiation of a major real estate planned unit development project in downtown Washington, D.C., involving assembly of numerous parcels of land, administrative bodies with regard to zoning and environmental issues as well as the development of a unique transfer of development rights program to facilitate highest and best use of site.
- Successful representation as special litigation counsel to bankruptcy trustee in multi-million dollar recovery of fraudulent conveyance against major national bank.
- Successful defense in federal district court and US Court of Appeals of multi-state debt collection law firm in class action FDCPA lawsuit involving Robo-signing claims
- Represented outside directors and General Counsel of failed family of professional liability insurance companies in federal, multi district litigation involving state insurance receivers and policyholders
- Multiple defense verdicts in favor of physicians and surgeons in complex, medical malpractice jury trials involving catastrophic injuries
Jon has been a member of the Permanent Panel of Arbitrators with the American Arbitration Association since 1989. Prior to joining Sands Anderson, Jon was the founding partner with the law firm of Schraub, Howell & Company, Chtd. He has been on Virginia Business Magazine's "Virginia's Legal Elite" annual list since 2004 and is listed in the 2006-2014 editions of Super Lawyers®. In 2010, he was named "Washington DC Lawyer of the Year for Legal Malpractice Defense". Jon has been listed in Best Lawyers in America© since 2006.
- 2011 as "Best Lawyers® Washington DC Lawyer of the Year for Professional Malpractice Defense"
- 2012 as "Best Lawyers® Washington DC Lawyer of the Year for Legal Malpractice Law"
- 2014 as "Best Lawyers® Washington DC Lawyer of the Year for Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants".
- 2015 as "Best Lawyers® Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" in Washington DC."
- 2016 as "Best Lawyers® Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" in Washington DC."
- 2017 as "Best Lawyers® Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" in Washington DC."
- Mayr, et al., v. Osborne, 2017 Va. LEXIS 3 (Va. S. Ct. 2017) (Judgment against surgeon reversed and existing Virginia law changed to eliminate battery as a cause of action for medical malpractice)
- Healy v. BWW Law Group, et al., 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8642 (D. Md. 2017), (Summary Judgment for law firm on FDCPA and RICO lawsuit)
- Woodroof v Cunningham & Associates, 147 A.3d 777 (D.C.C.A. 2016) (legal malpractice defense) (Affirming dismissal for arbitration)
- Curtin v Commonwealth Orthopedics, et al., (Fairfax County Cir Ct 2016) (medical malpractice – jury) DEFENSE VERDICT
- Rainey v. Maseer Bade, M.D. (Fairfax County Cir. Ct., 2016) (medical malpractice defense – jury) DEFENSE VERDICT
- N.O. a Minor by her mother Christine Orwig v. Mark Alembik, M.D. and About Women OB/Gyn, PC (United States District Court of the Eastern District of Virginia, 2016) (Virginia double cap medical malpractice lawsuit) DEFENSE VERDICT
- Rocha v. Brown & Gould, LLC, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 56469, (U.S.D.C. for the District of Columbia, April 30, 2015) (Summary Judgment for law firm in $10 million legal malpractice case)
- Representation of law firm in US District Court for D.C. in $10 million legal malpractice claim resulting in summary judgment for client.
- Leigh Ann Nagosky, as Administrator of the Estate of Michael Nagosky v. Mathew Mayr, M.D. and Neurosurgical Associates PC, (Chesterfield County Cir. Ct 2015 (medical malpractice- wrongful death defense – jury)
- Davis v. About Women Ob-Gyn, (Stafford County Cir. Ct. 2013) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- McFadden v. Kiernan, (Fairfax County Cir. Ct. 2013) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Andaracua v. Soutter, (Fairfax County Cir. Ct. 2013) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Madahusudhan v. Pediatric Surgical Associates, PC, et. al (Fairfax County Cir. Ct. 2013) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Martinez-Vargas v. Virginia Womens' Health Associates Ltd., (Prince William County Cir. Ct. 2011) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Estate of Webster v. Fairfax Neonatal Associates (Prince William County Cir. Ct. 2010) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Clements v. Hashemi, (Fairfax County Cir. Ct. 2009) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Smith v. Kim, 277 Va. 486, 675 SE2d 193 (2009) (Affirming verdict -- medical malpractice defense - jury).
- Butler v. Trivedi (I and II) (Cir. Ct. City of Alexandria 2008/2009) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Smith v. Gastroenterology Associates of Northern Virginia (Kim) (Fairfax County Cir. Ct. 2008) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Goode v. Commonwealth Orthopedic (Fairfax County Cir. Ct. 2008) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Cagle v. Child Cardiology Associates (Fairfax County Cir. Ct. 2006) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Da Silva v. Child Cardiology Associates (Montgomery County, Md., Cir. Ct. 2007) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Falk v. Vaswani (Fairfax County Cir. Ct. 2005) (medical malpractice defense - jury)
- Author, "Notes from the Trenches: Five Rules of Trial Advocacy," Journal of Civil Litigation, Winter 2016-2017
- Author, "The guilty plea: ultimate protection for the innocent, "The National Law Journal, December 2010
- Author, "View from the Trenches: Defense Counsel's Perspective, "Today's Lawyer, August 2000
- Author, "Can an Attorney Serve Two Masters? The Relationship Among Insurer, Insured and Defense Counsel," VBA New Journal, September 1998
- Co-Author, "Putting Teeth Into Your Management Training Program," HR Focus, May 1998
News about J. Jonathan Schraub:
Articles by J. Jonathan Schraub: