Phone: (703) 893-3600
Fax: (703) 893-8484
Paige Levy Smith is a shareholder of the firm and a member of the Business & Professional Litigation and the Healthcare groups. She focuses her practice on professional liability defense, and appellate work in Virginia and the District of Columbia.
Paige has significant experience in medical malpractice defense and representing a variety of healthcare practitioners against malpractice claims. She also has substantial trial experience and has prepared numerous appellate briefs. Paige regularly serves as local counsel in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, also known as the "Rocket Docket."
Recent representative experience includes:
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial arising from the death of a 40 year old married man diagnosed with a colloid cyst and obstructive hydrocephalus. Plaintiff alleged that the defendant neurosurgeon failed to place in a timely fashion a ventriculostomy and take the patient to surgery.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial involving claims of an infant diagnosed with cerebral palsy and intellectual disability as a result alleged failure to timely diagnose Hirschsprung's enterocolitis. Plaintiff claimed future costs to more than $7.6 million. (2013);
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial involving alleged negligent lymph node biopsy resulting in esophageal perforation. (2013);
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial involving a woman with a longstanding history of Crohn's disease claiming premature surgical menopause and bowel perforation following gynecological surgery. Plaintiff sought $1.2 million in damages. (2013);
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial where the plaintiff alleged that an obstetric practice's negligence resulted in the stillbirth of her full-term fetus as well as significant injuries to the mother during birth. (2011);
- Represented a neonatologist against a wrongful death claim as a result of alleged failure to recognize newborn's jaundiced condition. Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial. (2010);
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial where the plaintiff alleged development of a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism post laser treatment of varicose veins resulting in total vision loss. (2009).
- Red Sage Limited Partnership v. Despa, 254 F.3d 1120 (D.C. Cir. 2001)
- Brown v. Slenker, 47 F. Supp. 2d 754 (M.D. La. 1999), aff'd in part, rev'd in part and remanded, 220 F.3d 411 (5th Cir. 2000), on remand, 2001 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23630 (M.D. La. Sept. 25, 2001) and 197 F. Supp. 2d 497 (E.D. Va. 2002)
- Amond v. Brincefield, Hartnett & Assoc., P.C., 1998 U.S. App. LEXIS 4815 (4th Cir. Dec. 3, 1998)
- McCorkle v. Veda, Inc., 1998 U.S. App. LEXIS 14930 (4th Cir. March 5, 1998)
- Shirlington Limousine and Transp., Inc. v. San Diego Union-Tribune, 566 F. Supp. 2d 1 (D.D.C. 2008)
- Friendly Ice Cream Corp. v. Beckner, 268 Va. 23, 597 S.E.2d 34 (2004)
- McFadden v. Kiernan, 2014 Va. LEXIS 104 (2014)
- Smith v. Kim, 277 Va. 486, 675 S.E.2d 193 (2009)
- Shipman v. Kruck, 593 S.E.2d 319 (2004)
- Kuhn v. Kephart, 1999 Va. Cir. LEXIS 715 (Fairfax Feb. 23, 1999)
- Taylor v. Harvie, 47 Va. Cir. 246 (Loudoun 1998)
News about Paige Levy Smith:
Press Mentions about Paige Levy Smith: