Legally protecting your labor and employment needs requires an understanding of your specific goals matched with deep legal talents.
At Sands Anderson, our Labor & Employment team supports employers through an array of essential labor and employment priorities. We can represent clients in state and federal courts, and before administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission , the Virginia Employment Commission, the Department of Labor, and the National Labor Relations Board. We apply our legal strengths and knowledge to advise and defend businesses, non-profits, and governments. As your business partner, we’re ready to guide with promptness and forethought across the employment landscape.
To best protect you, our goal is to help you prevent disruptive legal cases down the road. As such, we believe that knowledge is key, so we offer the education and guidance you need to find clarity and stay on track. We can also deepen our support with training and presentations that help you strategically address your workplace goals.
Human Resources Support
Our attorneys assist employers by guiding all types of workplace decisions and can further support employer HR needs during business sales and acquisitions. Whether you need legal representation, handbook and contract drafting, management training, or more, we’ll diligently work to protect you in every step. Our services include meeting your labor and employment needs for:
- Leave and Accommodation Issues, including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Wage & Hour Compliance and Employee Classification under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Benefits Administration (Affordable Care Act, ERISA, COBRA)
- Employment Contracts and Non-Compete Agreements
- Unemployment Compensation (VEC)
- Layoffs, Reductions in Force, and Termination Decisions
- Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Claim Avoidance
Should litigation arise, our attorneys will vigorously represent you while working to streamline the process. We have successfully handled litigation, arbitrations, and mediations on behalf of employers in the following areas:
- Discrimination cases involving age, sex , race, religion, disability, and national origin
- Employment contract disputes
- Employment torts including defamation, negligent retention , and business interference claims
- FMLA, ADA, ERISA, and other benefits disputes
- Collective bargaining agreements
- Non-competition, confidentiality, and trade secret disputes
- Wage and hour claims (FLSA)
- Wrongful discharge and grievances