Michael Bedsaul joined Sands Anderson in 2001, bringing deep insight into the unique needs of local governments and the private sector. For more than 17 years, he’s represented local governments, departments of social services, and other public agencies. Michael applies his legal talents within the firm’s Government Group and Employment Law Team. His diverse capabilities focus on municipal litigation, local government law, employment law, defense of civil rights claims, and representation of local departments of social services.
Michael serves as Agency Attorney for the local departments of social services in the City of Galax and the counties of Wythe, Carroll, Grayson Bland, and Floyd. He serves as City Attorney for Radford City, Town Attorney for the Town of Narrows, County Attorney for Craig County, and Assistant Galax City Attorney where he served as its City Prosecutor for over nine years. He has represented the local departments of social services in the counties of Pulaski, Smyth, Stafford, Tazewell, Louisa, Mathews, Rockbridge Area, and the City of Radford in general and employment matters. His clients also include the New River Valley Juvenile Detention Home, the New River Valley Regional Jail, Floyd County, Carroll County, Grayson County, and the Peppers Ferry Regional Wastewater Treatment Authority.
Michael works intelligently and efficiently as he serves clients, and his government and litigation experience includes:
- Obtaining a defense judgment after two-day federal jury trial in malicious prosecution and conspiracy action.
- Defending a board of supervisors member against alleged violations of RICO and other white collar crimes in federal court.
- Defending successfully multiple § 1983 suits against a regional jail.
- Representation of localities in employment matters, including grievance hearings and proceedings before the VEC and EEOC.
- Representation of matters involving Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the FLSA, FMLA, ADEA, ADA, and other employment laws.
- Representation of local departments of social services in child protective services, foster care, termination of parental rights, adult protective services, and employment matters.
- Representation of a locality in suit for breach of fiduciary duty against town clerk.
- Representation of a locality in the abolition of a constitutional office.
As a steadfast ally to his social services clients, Michael’s experience includes:
- Representation in all legal proceedings concerning child protective services, removals in abuse or neglect cases, foster care, termination of parental rights, entrustment approvals, relief of custody, delinquency, and CHINS cases
- Representation in adult protective services matters, including appointments of guardians and conservators, judicially authorized medical treatment, and emergency orders for adult protective services
- Appeals of administrative findings of abuse or neglect and challenges to adoption assistance agreements before the Virginia Department of Social Services
- Right to Review appeals by identified perpetrators in substantiated adult protective services cases
- Appeals before the Virginia Court of Appeals in termination of parental rights cases
- Out-of-family investigations of school personnel and child care providers
- Ensuring compliance with Title IV(E) and CSA funding eligibility requirements
"Legal Elite” 2016-2017, 2019 - 2022
Virginia Business magazine
Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2010
“20 under 40” Emerging Leaders, 2009
Blue Ridge Business Journal
Virginia Polytechnic & State University
B.A., cum laude, 1993
University of South Carolina School of Law
Supreme Court of Virginia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Local Government Attorneys of Virginia
Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police
Virginia League of Social Services Executives
Employment Law Speaker
Seminar Leader and Trainer to local government officials on FOIA, COIA, Virginia Public Procurement Act
Local Government Attorneys of Virginia
Montgomery-Radford Bar Association
Virginia Association of Counties
Virginia State Bar
Virginia Bar Association
Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
Southwest Virginia Legal Aid Society
Private Bar Involvement Program Former Member
Virginia Tech English Department
Distinguished Alumni Board Member
Publications by Michael R. Bedsaul
VACo Handbook, Chapter 17 (Social Services) and Chapter 18 (Mental Health)
- Forty-Two Sands Anderson Lawyers Named to 2021 Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Forty Sands Anderson Lawyers Named to 2020 Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Forty Sands Anderson Lawyers Named to 2019 Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Sands Anderson Local Government Attorneys Awarded LGA Special Projects Award
- 2019 Virginia Employment Law Pocket Guide
- 2018 Virginia Employment Law Pocket Guide
- Thirty-Three Sands Anderson Lawyers Named to 2017 Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Thirty-One Sands Anderson Lawyers Named to 2016 Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Sands Anderson Speaking Engagements through June 2016
- Sands Anderson Speaking Engagements Through December 2015