Christopher K. Jones
“I enjoy learning about my clients — what they do, how they do it, what their needs are, and how I can best work with them as they face the pressures of litigation.”
Christopher K. Jones
To help drive the best outcomes for his clients, Chris brings a deep curiosity to every case. He enjoys asking tailored questions to identify the opposition’s flaws and clarify his clients’ strengths. The result is that clients receive legal guidance they can trust to be informed and compelling.
Working with corporations of all sizes, as well as insurers and their insureds, Chris handles the litigation needs of his clients from the claims stage through to litigation. He is experienced with a variety of matters, from commercial transportation and premises liability, to more complex problems involving products liability, privacy, and data security. Chris also works with clients to avoid the pitfalls of litigation altogether by managing risk and implementing privacy plans that fit their unique needs.
In every step, Chris’ goal is to help his clients achieve optimal results. He is proactive and determined, digging deeply to identify every nuance of even the most complex liability cases. Chris brings experience identifying and resolving critical issues in legal actions ranging from medical information privacy to wrongful death trucking cases. He applies his problem-solving and goals-focused support to help clients gain the results they seek with efficiency and care. From responsive pleadings through to settlement or trial, he will work hard on your behalf, every step of the way.
During law school, Chris worked in a third-year externship with Justice G. Steven Agee in the Supreme Court of Virginia, and also served as the Senior Case Editor of Washington and Lee’s Environmental Law Digest. He is named a Rising Star by Virginia Super Lawyers and has given numerous continuing legal education presentations for the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, the National Business Institute, and the Richmond Bar Association.
Medical information privacy for national pharmacy: Chris helped secure the dismissal of all six counts of the plaintiff’s complaint – which ranged from slander to false imprisonment - and then successfully defended the plaintiff's appeal to the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Products liability action involving a plumbing fixture: Chris convinced a determined and highly motivated plaintiff to dismiss his client on the eve of trial and proceed only against a co-defendant— resulting in his client paying nothing in settlement.
Constitutionality of taxation scheme: Chris defended a state taxation authority in a case brought against it by a taxpayer who alleged the taxation of his retirement income was unconstitutional. The change to the tax code advocated by the plaintiff would have cost the state government hundreds of millions of dollars. After extensive discovery and briefing, Chris prevailed at trial on a motion to strike.
"Legal Elite," Virginia Business magazine, Intellectual Property/Information Technology, 2021-2022
Washington & Lee School of Law
J.D., cum laude, 2007
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Certified Information Privacy Professional/US, by the International Association of Privacy Professionals
"Cybersecurity Incident Reporting for Critical Infrastructure Act: Reporting Timeframes, Liability Protection, Enforcement," Strafford, June 2022
"Motions in the Life Cycle of a Civil Case in Virginia", Richmond Bar Association webinar, October 2021
"Data Privacy for Virginia and Beyond," rvatech, April 2021
"Insurance Data Security Act - Predator or Prey", Professional Insurance Agents of VA and DC (PIAVADC) webinar, February 2021
"Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (CDPA)," Workshop Digital, February 2021
Frequent lecturer on many aspects of law at the local, state, regional, and national levels.
Presented on the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act, Virginia procedure, transportation law, trial tactics, legal technology, the use of social media at trial, general liability, and other topics.
Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
Defense Research Institute
Chair of the Speakers Bureau
Richmond Bar Association
Board Member, Governance Committee Chair
Greater Richmond Bar Foundation
Class of 2019, Leadership Metro Richmond
Christopher K. Jones In The Media
- "Autonomous Trucking and the Death of Driver Negligence?" For the Defense, December 2015
News by Christopher K. Jones
- Countdown to Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act
- The Cyber Incident Reporting for Critical Infrastructure Act is Here. Now What?
- Protecting Forensic Reports in Data Breach Cases: Lessons Learned from Recent Decisions
- What Can the CARES Act Do for Your Organization?
- California Consumer Privacy Act Now In Effect
- Don’t Be the (Uninsured) Victim of a Foreign Cyberattack
- Supreme Court of Illinois Expands Grounds for Standing in Privacy Suits
- Fourth Circuit Finds that Class of Data Breach Plaintiffs Have Standing
- Court Refuses to Exclude Evidence of Disciplinary History of Plaintiff’s Expert
- Court Excludes Plaintiff’s Expert’s Opinion On Future Damages
- Court Rejects Plaintiff’s Gameshow Approach to Litigation and Twice Denies Her Motion to Increase Her Demand
- Court Excludes Evidence Developed Through Plaintiff’s Surreptitious Contact with Corporate Defendant’s Employees
- What Is the Impact of NHTSA Automated Vehicle Policy on Transportation Liability?
- Cybersecurity Experts to Congress: It’s Time for Guidance
- Fourth Circuit Finds CGL Insurer Has Duty to Defend Cyber Claim
- Subrogation in Data Breach Cases: Vendor Vulnerability and Practical Prevention
- Supreme Court Declines to Penalize Plaintiff for Failure to Correct Misnomer
- Virginia Supreme Court Expands Scope of UM/UIM Coverage
- Changes to Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Effective December 1, 2015
- Changes to Virginia UM/UIM Law
- Driverless Cars Have Come to Virginia: Considerations for Automated Vehicles
News About Christopher K. Jones
- Forty-Four Sands Anderson Lawyers Named to 2022 Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Broughton elected shareholder of Sands Anderson; Four attorneys promoted
- Sands Anderson Speaking Engagements through June 2016
- Sands Anderson Speaking Engagements Through December 2015
- Three Attorneys Join Sands Anderson Law Firm
- Sands Anderson Speaking Engagements through June 2015